Sunday, March 7, 2010

March for March

Wow, I can't believe it's March already! Yes, I've failed... I haven't blogged, BUT hopefully this will make up my temp leave of absence :)

If you haven't been aware, this month is March for March, where not only students but those in the educational system stand up for education. This past Thursday, March 4th, I participated in the march/protest where my student body rallied through campus and by midday, met up with other universities and groups at the World Beat Center in Balboa Park, and then marched all the way down to the state official office. This being the first protest I've ever been in, was probably one of the most AMAZING and INSPIRING marches, not because of the participation, but how much passion, strive, and power people can really do when we all get together. As usual, we had people bashing us, "Stop whining" "You have to work harder for education" remarks like these made me upset. How can people who are low income "work harder" when the resources aren't given?? Define work hard?? & if we do, is it ever enough? By pricing education, does this only allow the rich white elites a chance at a good quality education??? By restricting the masses, we cannot have a strong future, without the uneducated citizens, the people will continually be controlled by big corporations to dictate our everyday lives. Good quality education is not a privilege, it's a right. Personally for me, we may not have changed much in the protest, but by using our media to shine the light on what our education system is doing to us can have a trivial impact. ACTIONS speak LOUDER than words, and I don't want to sit around waiting and hoping that something will change; we have to make the change, the people are the change. I want to make an impact so my idea?

Informing my students, the high school students I tutor are the people who will be building our future. Saving and empowering the future, one day at a time.

What's your call for action??? What are you passionate about changing, or doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment